Birth control fight is still being fought
Thursday marks the 47th anniversary of the Supreme Court’s decision to make birth control legal in the United States, but the case is still being argued.
Women are up against the grass ceiling
“Are men necessary?” Maureen Dowd asked, and the answer is absolutely - if we’ve no landscapers.
One wrong direction for boy bands and their girl fans
- A sentiment in the music of hit boy-band One Direction is that underconfidence in girls is appealing. It’s a sentiment that sends a wrong message.
(HAGEN HOPKINS/GETTY IMAGES)
Why trophy wives are a thing of the past
- As women’s learning and earning powers have increased over the years, marital motivations have shifted and the idea of the so-called “trophy wife” is fading into history.
Yeager works combine beauty and feminism
- The name may not mean much to those with limited knowledge of 1950s pinup girl culture, but Bunny Yeager was a pioneer in the genre. The curvaceous Yeager gained celebrity - frolicking in sexy swimsuits - in front of the lens. It wasn’t long until she discovered she enjoyed taking pictures more than posing for them.
THE BIG PICTURE
Young women in Chechnya
- Photojournalist Diana Markosian spent the last year and half covering Russia’s volatile North Caucasus region. This year she started a personal project entitled “Goodbye My Chechnya” documenting the lives of young Chechen women as they come of age in the aftermath of war. (33 photos total)
Bill Maher, Ted Nugent pollute the political dialogue
- Maher and Nugent have each made highly offensive comments about women. President Obama and Mitt Romney’s camps should show some integrity and reject these men.
Enough with the cosmos. The lady likes bourbon.
- Peggy Noe Stevens is on a crusade of sorts to empower women. It started in the late ’80s when Stevens, a Kentucky native, lived in Chicago. When she went out, her friends would order wine spritzers. She’d order her regular: bourbon on the rocks.
- Augusta National Golf Club does not allow women as members, but the point cannot be made often enough: If we wish to live in a free and diverse society, freedom of association is indispensable.
‘Texts from Hillary’ meme shows Clinton in charge
- The Internet sensation “Texts from Hillary” puts Clinton above the political fray, and coincides with headlines about her record-high approval ratings.