Lobster prices plunge, to fishermen’s chagrin
Lobster has long enjoyed a gourmet image, but this summer, as lobster prices have plunged in a saturated market, the succulent treat has increasingly become a bargain.
(WENDY MAEDA/GLOBE STAFF)
Maine seafood shack owner claws to the top
Steve Kingston, owner of the unassuming Clam Shack in Kennebunk, Maine, calls himself “The King of the Lobster Roll” after winning a New York event.
(LISA LEAVITT FOR THE BOSTON GLOBE/FILE)
It’s National Lobster Day
Today is National Lobster Day, so get crackin’ with these delicious recipes that range from lobster club sandwiches to baked stuffed lobster.
Eel market sizzles as prices hit $2k/lb in Maine
- Tiny translucent elvers — alien-looking baby eels the size of toothpicks, with big black eyes and spines — are mysterious creatures, floating thousands of miles from their birthplace in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean before ending up each spring in Maine’s rivers and streams.
(AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty)
Government cuts cod limits for local fishermen by 22 percent
- In a move that will bring increased hardship to an already struggling industry, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration today substantially reduced the amount of cod local fishermen will be able to catch this fishing season.
Wholesaler, Legal Sea Foods look to improve fish labeling
- A new label will allow restaurants and supermarkets to track fresh fish all along the supply chain.
Bid to fight mislabeled fish gets ramped up
- Federal officials are increasing efforts to combat fish mislabeling, including by training a government lab in Stoneham to conduct DNA testing of seafood.
Here’s what fishmongers are selling and chefs are buying
- Sustainability is a slippery issue, and at the end of the day, chefs and seafood sellers are left to make decisions that may involve compromise.
Why chefs are confused about what fish they can serve
- If you want to see Boston chefs get hot under the collar, throw their hands up in confusion, or sigh in resignation, just ask them about seafood sustainability.
New England Aquarium’s approved fish list
- There’s very little consensus about sustainable seafood. Here is a partial list that gets the New England Aquarium’s seal of approval.