Boston Marathon grants 2,160 deferments from heat
- Boston Marathon officials have granted 2,160 deferments into the 2013 race to runners who opted to sit out this year because of the heat.
Marathon: Abolish the Boston asterisk
- Under prevailing rules, world records can’t be set on a course where the elevation drops as much, or where the start and finish lines are as far apart, as in Boston.
Surge of older runners in Boston Marathon
- A record 596 runners age 65 and older have registered to compete in today’s race, 47 of whom are age 75 and older.
A 26.2-mile meditation
- On Monday I will run the Boston Marathon again. The rewards are entirely, even pathologically, personal and internal.
World record anywhere but Boston Marathon
- Geoffrey Mutai ran the fastest time ever recorded for a marathon last year. But officials don’t recognize Boston as a world record-eligible course.
From Hopkinton to Brookline, where to watch the Boston Marathon
- Whether you’re near the starting line or on the home stretch, there are places to eat, drink, or enjoy the fun along the 26.2-mile route.
FROM THE ARCHIVES | PHOTOS
The Boston Marathon
April 16th marks the 116th running of the Boston Marathon. Around 27,000 runners are expected, up from the 15 who ran in 1897. Take a look at scenes of marathons past from Globe photographers.
New Balance plans Back Bay ‘Experience’
- The 2,500-square-foot space at 583 Boylston St. will feature a live video feed from the Boston company’s manufacturing plant during work hours.
Suit tests barefoot-style shoe’s health claim
- Vibram USA Inc., which is based in Concord, is facing a class-action lawsuit that challenges the company’s health claims about its minimalist FiveFinger running shoes.