And now a word from our (former) sponsor
- The TLC cable network’s “All-American Muslim,” a new reality program that follows the lives of five families in a Detroit suburb, now belongs to a rare breed: television shows that have lost advertisers after becoming the targets of protest.
- Muslims around the globe have begun their holiest month of the year by giving up food, drink, smoking and other physical needs from dawn till dusk each day. — (38 photos total)
OP-ED: Conflict resolution is part of Norway’s national DNA
- IT SEEMS so unfair that Norway should become a target of terrorism. Once the scourge of Europe, when Vikings pillaged their way across the continent, Norway is the world’s number one exporter of peace and reconciliation. Wherever there is a conflict you may find a Norwegian up to his elbows trying to solve it.
From businessman’s son to the face of terrorism
- He shattered a nation’s sense of self and security at the dawn of a new century, personified a network of terrorists intent on recreating an ancient Muslim kingdom from modernity’s ashes, and ignited a global response that continues to reshape the Near East today.
France bans face-covering Islamic veil
- France’s new ban on Islamic face veils was met with a burst of defiance Monday, as several women appeared veiled in front of Paris’ Notre Dame Cathedral and two were detained for taking part in an unauthorized protest.