When teens can’t find jobs elsewhere, mom and dad do the hiring
Summer jobs for teenagers have become a precious commodity, and some parents - desperate for their kids to have work - are stepping in.
Disney will ban junk-food ads that target children
Walt Disney Co. became the first major media company to ban junk food ads from its TV channels, radio stations, and websites intended for children.
Excitement building in soap box racers’ world
- Your daddy’s Oldsmobile may be out of production, but your grandfather’s motorless soap box car still pokes along - especially in Arlington.
Bird watching for kids
- Bill Thompson III is editor of the bimonthly Bird Watcher’s Digest and author of “The Young Birder’s Guide to Birds of North America.”
The Wiggles are breaking up. Almost. The blue one (Anthony) will play on.
Should overweight kids be put on a diet?
- With one in six children now qualifying as obese, many parents are informed by pediatricians that they have to do something about their child’s weight. (ISTOCKPHOTO)
What to do when food takes a dive
- While academics continue to duke it out, more than a few parents seem to have embraced the five-second rule.
Snoring kids more likely to have behavioral problems
- A new study published in Pediatrics links disordered breathing behaviors to a higher likelihood of behavioral problems all the way through second grade.
How the French are influencing a generation of helicopter parents
- After years of over-scheduling their kids, some moms and dads are taking cues from the French and backing off.
(KYLE T. WEBSTER/BOSTON GLOBE)