One wrong direction for boy bands and their girl fans
- A sentiment in the music of hit boy-band One Direction is that underconfidence in girls is appealing. It’s a sentiment that sends a wrong message.
(HAGEN HOPKINS/GETTY IMAGES)
Still waiting for a heroine of confidence
- Katniss Everdeen, the heroine of “The Hunger Games,” is yet another young woman who shoulders burdens and fulfills other people’s desires, instead of bending the world to her will.
For girls, a path blocked by Lego toys
- A new line of frilly Legos is part of an attitude that may divert girls from careers in science and technology.
‘Girl Land’ by Caitlin Flanagan
- Flanagan’s new book looks at how the coming-of-age experience of girls has changed and argues for greater parental protection and involvement.
It’s a guy thing, too
- Eating disorders are often thought of as problems for women and girls, but men and boys are also susceptible.
160 million missing girls
- ‘Sex selection’ is creating a new endangered species: women. A journalist investigates the countries with too many men.
IPSWICH — The e-mail appeared to be from Ipswich High School Junior Class officers and was direct and to the point: It listed the names, ages, body types, and sexual experience level of 22 female Ipswich High School students who had yet to be asked to the school’s junior prom.
Patriots cheerleader tryouts
- The Patriots held auditions for their cheerleading squad, and approximately 300 women attended.