The Pentagon is stopped from going green
It is odd that the Senate Armed Services Committee has prohibited the Pentagon, the single biggest consumer of fossil fuels, from spending money on cleaner energy alternatives.
(HEATHER HOPP-BRUCE/THE BOSTON GLOBE)
Green residential projects transforming Allston neighborhood
A landlord is looking to turn a two-block section into Boston’s first so-called Green District, a $125 million project where all 500 units will have environmental features.
(BRIAN FEULNER FOR THE BOSTON GLOBE)
What are the oceans telling us about climate change?
As we celebrate World Oceans Day on Friday, it’s worth pausing to reflect on the biggest challenge they face, writes New England Aquarium president Bud Ris.
Law of the Sea Convention must be ratified
- Joining the other 160 nations that already live by the convention’s rules will give the United States more economic strength and national security.
(Michael R. McCormick/U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
Commercial food waste to be banned
- Environmental officials are preparing to ban big businesses and institutions in Massachusetts from discarding food waste in the trash beginning in 2014.
The BP aftermath? Nothing
- Two Aprils ago, BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded and sank. Since then, Congress has done nothing to make drilling safer.
(DAVE MARTIN/ASSOCIATED PRESS)
Jessica Alba in Cambridge for venture capital firm
- The 31-year-old actress recently added technology entrepreneur to her resume when she cofounded the Honest Co., an e-commerce site focused on selling biodegradable diapers.
Earth Day 2012
- April 22 will mark Earth Day worldwide, an event now in its 42nd year and observed in 175 countries. Gathered here are images of our planet’s environment, efforts to utilize renewable alternative sources of energy, and the effects of different forms of pollution. (35 photos total)
Students, officials to stock Quabbin with trout
- BELCHERTOWN, Mass. - Students and state environmental officials plan to stock the Quabbin Reservoir with thousands of trout.
(FILE: AP Photo)
THE BIG PICTURE
Earth Hour 2012
- A symbolic gesture to raise awareness about energy consumption, Earth Hour has grown since its beginning in 2007 in Sydney to now include observances in 147 countries and over 5000 cities. Beginning with the second photograph, click the pictures to see them fade from lights on to the lights switched off during Earth Hour 2012. (25 photos total)