Fast, funny ‘Bunheads’ in step with ‘Gilmore Girls’
From the mile-a-minute mind of “Gilmore Girls” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino comes the new ABC Family dramedy “Bunheads,” about ballet, belonging, and banter.
(ADAM TAYLOR/ABC FAMILY VIA AP)
Green Street Studios celebrates a vibrant community
- The studio, which will hold a 20th anniversary gala benefit performance on Saturday, has created a strong, creative dance community in Cambridge’s Central Square.
Clinton, P-Funk celebrated by Berklee students, faculty
- Berklee College of Music awarded George Clinton an honorary doctorate last night and celebrated his music with a performance by the school’s P-Funk Ensemble.
Boston Ballet’s ‘Simply Sublime’ inspires awe
- The dances may leapfrog decades, moving from 1909 to 1972 to 2001, but they are contemporaries under the skin.
Brazilian martial art becomes a hot exercise
- “Dance & Fight Cultural Center” promises the sign outside Marcus Coreba’s capoeira studio in Marlborough. Capoeira, a beautiful, lethal blend of music, dance, and martial art, is part of the American Dream - the South American Dream.
'Nutcracker' offers nods to past, future
- This season’s delightful “Nutcracker” by the Boston Ballet is the last for the current sets and costumes, so if you’ve developed a fondness for them, don’t wait till next year.
No jazz hands, we’re sword dancers
- Teens from around the country will step lively in a battle of fancy footwork and sword handling in a competition of English folk dance.
Schools crack down on dirty dancing
- The waltz it ain’t. Raunchy and about as subtle as “Jersey Shore,” the sexually charged dance style known as grinding is more popular than ever, and feeding a wave of dance cancellations, angry protests, and tensions between school administrators and students.
Thousands expected for Cambridge Dance Party Friday night
- About 5,000 to 6,000 people filled the avenue in front of Cambridge City Hall for last year’s dance party, said city spokeswoman Ini Tomeu. A portion of Massachusetts Avenue in Central Square will be closed Friday night as thousands of people are expected to attend the city’s annual Dance Party.