Former state treasurer Timothy Cahill indicted on corruption charges
- A Suffolk County grand jury has handed up indictments against former state Treasurer Timothy P. Cahill on corruption charges, alleging his campaign used $1.65 million in taxpayer-funded state Lottery advertising to boost his floundering 2010 gubernatorial bid, a top state law enforcement official said today.
Former Probation chief O’Brien, 2 others indicted
- US Attorney Carmen Ortiz called the indictments of John J. O’Brien and two former top deputies “just one step” in the ongoing investigation of rigged hiring practices.
DiMasi may testify to US panel
- Disgraced former House speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi is returning to Massachusetts to testify before a federal grand jury in Worcester.
Lawyers expect a grand jury to bring indictments soon against a dozen employees and legislators on charges related to favoritism in the state Probation Department.
Salvatore DiMasi’s new title: Inmate 27317038
- Former Massachusetts House speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi has a new title: federal prison inmate No. 27317038.
The alleged victims of ‘Whitey’ Bulger
- South Boston mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger was arrested in Santa Monica, Calif., ending a 16-year global manhunt. A federal indictment charged Bulger with 19 counts of murder, along with his former associate Stephen Flemmi, who was charged with 10 murders. Click through for a look at some of Bulger’s alleged victims.
OPINION: In Bulger case, a tale from the FBI’s dark side
- James “WHITEY” Bulger is as much a creature of federal law enforcement as he is a product of the tough South Boston housing project where he grew up. (Above: Former FBI agent John Connolly.)
Special ed director said to siphon $10m
- The former director of the Merrimack Special Education Collaborative is facing allegations that he fleeced the publicly funded organization, set up to provide education services to special needs children, of more than $10 million while paying himself, a former girlfriend, and a handful of top staff extravagant salaries and bonuses.