OPINION | JENNIFER GRAHAM
Death by inspection
How a perfectly useful car met an unnecessary and wasteful end.
(ISTOCKPHOTO/HEATHER HOPP-BRUCE/GLOBE STAFF)
'Car Talk': Hub of the radio universe
When Tom and Ray Magliozzi stop recording new episodes of “Car Talk” in September, it will be the end of an era for a program that captures a deep slice of Greater Boston.
'Car Talk' reaches the end of the road
Brothers Tom and Ray Magliozzi, co-hosts of the long-running public radio show, said Friday they will stop producing new programs in October.
Edmunds.com: Most hybrid drivers in Boston don’t buy hybrids again
- Only 38.4 percent of hybrid vehicle owners in Boston opted to buy a hybrid again when they returned to the car market in 2011, said Edmunds.com Inc., a California company that aims to be online resource for automotive information.
THE BIG PICTURE
Dakar rally 2012
- Traversing over 8000 miles through Argentina, Chile, and Peru, the Dakar rally pits drivers and riders against each other and against extreme terrain. The 14-stage race attracts competitors from over 50 countries to race 465 vehicles - motorcycles, quad bikes, cars, and trucks - through deserts, rivers, and mountains. (37 photos total)
Cars’ Internet connections may change driving life
- About 40 percent of the cars sold in the US last year can already connect to wireless data networks; the next step will be cars that constantly monitor online data.
Future fuels: Thorium, lasers, and electromagnets
- Pies in the sky never seem to land on my plate, but two preposterous-sounding proposals passed my desk last week. Technological entrepreneurs make for interesting proposals.
Was that a Prius that just whizzed by?
- Was that a Prius that just drove by? The odds are better if you’re on the islands of Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard or in Boston’s leafy suburbs.
Car horns are a country choice, says Ford
- We pretty much take the horn on our vehicles for granted — until the day they don’t work. That happened on my motorcycle the other day. The button that used to create either a light beep or a prodigious HONK barely managed a pathetic blaap, and that only after a lot of static.
Boston to offer electric car charge stations
- The city of Boston today will unveil three electric-vehicle charging stations near City Hall Plaza, providing exclusive downtown parking - complete with a power boost - for those who drive the environmentally friendly cars.