Flag fray stirs Wrentham’s patriotism
For a brief period, Tony Rukus and other residents of the Wrentham Housing Authority’s complex on Garden Lane were prohibited from displaying American flags outside.
(ESSDRAS M SUAREZ/GLOBE STAFF)
Dylan, Albright among 13 Medal of Freedom recipients
- Music icon Bob Dylan and Madeleine Albright, the first woman to serve as secretary of state, were among 13 people awarded the Medal of Freedom Tuesday by President Obama.
The patriotism of sacrifice
- This Memorial Day should serve to remind us that a just, wise, decent society asks sacrifice of everyone, not just the poor and brave.
(HUGH VAN ES/ASSOCIATED PRESS/FILE)
Excitement building in soap box racers’ world
- Your daddy’s Oldsmobile may be out of production, but your grandfather’s motorless soap box car still pokes along - especially in Arlington.
Mehanna receives 17 1/2-year sentence
- Tarek Mehanna, the Sudbury man convicted in December of supporting Al Qaeda, was sentenced today in federal court after delivering a defiant speech.
STATE OF THE UNION
Obama wants higher taxes on rich, incentives for jobs
- President Obama used his State of the Union address last night to pledge that the tools of government would be used to rescue the middle class and restore tax fairness.
Massachusetts war dead: Afghanistan
- This photo gallery is in commemoration of the Massachusetts’ service members who have lost their lives in Operation Enduring Freedom, including members from military operations in Afghanistan, prison patrols in Cuba, and anti-terrorism operations around the world. It was compiled from Globe and news service reports. (33 photos)
Dual citizenship’s appeal grows, here and abroad
- Viktoria Kirakosyan came to the United States for a top-notch education and later decided to become a US citizen. But taking the oath came with a trade-off: She lost her Armenian citizenship.